Weather can be unpredictable, but taking a little time to prepare before a storm strikes can help you stay safe and connected to information in the event of severe weather. We encourage you to review this information and take steps to prepare now.
Before a Storm Strikes
Assemble an emergency storm kit with bottled water, nonperishable foods, blankets, flashlights and extra batteries, a first-aid kit and hand tools. Be sure to stock prescriptions, special medical or infant supplies and other essentials. Then develop and practice an emergency plan with everyone in your household.
If you rely on emergency or life-support equipment such as a respirator or kidney dialysis machine, our Emergency Medical Equipment Notification Program (EMENP) can provide advanced notice of severe storms and scheduled outages. Visit pepco.com/EMENP to learn more.
If severe weather is approaching, charge cell phones and mobile devices, protect and unplug electronics and fill your tub if your water supply depends on electricity. Be sure to download our mobile app to help you stay connected to information.
If Power Goes Out
- Restoring power safely takes time. Follow these steps to minimize the effect of an outage in your home.
- Unplug or turn off TVs, appliances and lights, keeping one lamp switched on so you know when power has been restored
- Keep freezer and refrigerator doors closed
- Close blinds and shades to keep rooms cool
- Always operate portable generators outside, away from doors and windows so deadly fumes won’t enter your home or garage
- Drink plenty of water and avoid overheating
- When conditions are safe, check on elderly or home-bound neighbors who may be vulnerable to heat stress