With the holiday season upon us, many customers have begun decorating their homes and businesses. We encourage customers to follow these tips for safe holiday decorating and to save energy during the season of lights.
- Select decorations made with flame-resistant, flame-retardant or non-combustible materials.
- Inspect electrical decorations before using them and replace any that are damaged.
- Keep trees (both live and synthetic) at least 3 feet from heating sources – especially fireplaces.
- Never leave lit candles unattended.
- Never use more than three standard-size sets of lights per single extension cord.
- Consider using LED lights, which use 90 percent less energy than incandescent bulbs and emit less heat, making them safer to touch and to use on live trees.
- Keep all extension cords and light strings clear of snow and standing water.
- Exercise caution when decorating outdoors. If using a ladder to decorate, carry it parallel to the ground to prevent it coming into contact with power lines, and keep yourself and your equipment at least 10 feet from lines.
- Turn off all decorations before going to bed or leaving your home.
We also hope you will celebrate the holiday season with us at ZooLights at the National Zoo. ZooLights has been running on weekend since Thanksgiving, but beginning this weekend, it will run every night through January 1st except Christmas Eve, Christmas Day and New Year’s Eve. This free event features thousands of environmentally friendly LED lights illuminating trees, walkways, buildings and animated animal silhouettes. Several animal exhibit houses will be open for public viewing, and Pepco volunteers will be handing out free giveaways in the Think Tank. For more information, visit the Friends of the National Zoo website.