Follow the guidelines below to keep your home, family and guests safe this holiday season.
- Select decorations made with flame-resistant, flame-retardant or non-combustible materials.
- Inspect electrical decorations before using them and replace any that are damaged.
- Keep trees (both live and synthetic) at least 3 feet from heating sources – especially fireplaces.
- Never leave lit candles unattended.
- Never use more than three standard-size sets of lights per single extension cord.
- Consider using LED lights, which use less energy than incandescent bulbs and emit less heat, making them safer to touch and to use on trees.
- Keep all extension cords and light strings clear of snow and standing water.
- If using a ladder to decorate, carry it parallel to the ground to prevent it coming into contact with power lines, and keep yourself and your equipment at least 10 feet from lines.
- Turn off all decorations before going to bed or leaving your home.