As the temperature rises during the summer months, so does the demand for electricity. Because of this, we’re offering customers in Maryland 2 Ways to Save energy and money this summer.
Peak Energy Savings Credit
The Peak Energy Savings Credit (PESC) lets you earn a credit off your bill when you reduce your electricity use on specially designated Peak Savings Days, when demand for electricity is at its highest. You will receive a credit of $1.25 off your bill for every kilowatt hour (kWh) you reduce your energy below your baseline.
Saving energy on Peak Savings Days can be as simple as turning off lights, waiting to run your clothes dryer until later or setting the temperature on your thermostat a few degrees higher. If you have a central air conditioner, you can also participate in Energy Wise Rewards to automatically reduce the energy use and receive guaranteed credits off your bill.
Here’s how it works:
- No enrollment is needed. When a Peak Savings Day is announced, you’ll automatically receive a phone call the night before giving you the hours for reducing your energy use. You can also choose to be notified by text or email and set your personal notification preferences on My Account. You can decide if you want to reduce your energy use on a particular Peak Savings Day.
- Reduce your energy use below your baseline on Peak Savings Days to earn a credit off your bill. The less energy you use on Peak Savings Days, the more money you can save.
- View your credit on your next bill and online through My Account at pepco.com/myaccount.
Energy Wise Rewards
The voluntary Energy Wise Rewards program from Pepco makes it easy to automatically reduce your central air conditioner energy use during Peak Energy Savings Days. By signing up for Energy Wise Rewards, you will receive your choice of a web-programmable thermostat or an outdoor switch, provided and installed at no charge, and a one-time installation credit of $40-80, depending on the cycling level you choose. Then, during summer months (June through October) you will receive up to $80 in Annual Reward Credits off your bill.
During the specified time period on Peak Savings Days, we’ll automatically cycle off and on your central air conditioner or heat pump to help manage energy use. Your fan continues to circulate already cooled air through the home.
Here’s how it works:
- Sign up for Energy Wise Rewards by calling 1-866-353-5798 or visit pepco.com/rewards.
- Select your cycling level – 50%, 75% or 100%. Most people start with 50% cycling, meaning that the A/C compressor will run half the time it did during the prior hour.
- Choose your device – the web-programmable thermostat or outdoor switch and receive a one-time installation Credit of $40-$80 off your bill.
For more information, visit our 2 Ways to Save page.