We are continuing our reliability work in Columbia Heights due to recent service issues. We understand the frustration customers have with outages and have already started implementing a plan to fix the issues. We anticipate this work will be completed by the end of June if we have good weather and normal system conditions.
Infrastructure enhancements in this area include:
- Installed 500 feet of new primary underground cable along Park Road near 11th Street
- Used smart meter technology to review overload trends which helped us identify transformers to upgrade in two locations
Work in Progress
- Replacing underground cable on 14th Street between Columbia Road and Monroe Street, NW
- Expanding a manhole and installing new conduit near Park Road and Holmead Place, NW
Work Starting Soon
- Replacing underground cable on Park Road between Holmead Place and 14th Street, NW
- Installing 15-20 feet of conduit on 14th Street near Park Road, NW
- Installing 350-400 feet of conduit on Park Road east of 14th Street, NW
- Replacing cable on Park Road between 14th and 11th streets, NW
- Increasing the capacity of a transformer on Park Rd NW
- Increasing the capacity of a transformer near Park Road and Holmead Place, NW
- Replacing a switch at 14th Street and Park Road, NW
We will continue to work with the business community and local representatives in Columbia Heights to coordinate the scheduling of any service interruptions that are necessary to safely complete this work. We may be required to reschedule if we encounter severe weather or cold temperatures. Customers that are affected by this work will be notified.
We remain committed to improving reliability as quickly as possible for our Columbia Heights customers.